Saturday, January 14, 2017

2017 Finish-A-Long Quarter 1

The 2016 Finish-A-Long was really motivating to me last year.  It was a great way to set some goals without a lot of pressure, and there were prizes, thank you sponsors!

I'm participating again for the 2017 Finish-A-Long.  New hosts, more prizes, and community support, what more could you ask for?

Here's my quarter 1 list.  Some are continuing from last year, along with a few new projects in the works.

1.  My Anna Maria Horner Scrappy Trip Around the World is still out there.  All blocks are complete, but I had to take a break from this one, as I don't want to rush the final arrangement of blocks.  I may still resew a few of these blocks to get it just right.



2.  Follow My Lead is another holdover from last year, but progress is being made.  I've got all the cross blocks complete and am working on the flying geese blocks.


3.  I'm challenging myself this year to break out of my typical square and rectangle block quilts.  This is the Big Star Block quilt from Victoria Findlay Wolfe.  Each block finishes at over 40 inches, which is great, and I love the fussy cutting (I'm coming to terms with fabric waste...it's worth it sometimes.) Now I have to work to get these big blocks to lay flat, which is not easy.  But I am going to persevere here.



4.  Last is a quick quilt, and the one most likely to get finished this quarter.  It's a lovely design with solids by Emily Dennis.  This will be a special quilt for a friend who lost everything in a house fire last month.


I hope you join in the fun with the 2017 Finish-A-Long.  Link up here for quarter 1!

5 comments:

  1. Good luck finishing your projects, love your Trip Around the World and love the Big Star too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo beautiful projects. I was so drawn by the Victoria Findlay-wolf star, but these are sensational. Your scrappy trip around the world is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The AMH Around the World is cool - I might try something like that with the Tula Pink fabrics I've been collecting! Good luck with your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you have some beautiful projects in the works, you can totally knock a few of these off your list! Thanks for linking up with the FAL, on behalf of the 2017 global hosts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a fussy cutter at heart, but -- wow! -- that rose-adorned star is gorgeous. (And I think I know the intended recipient, no?!) In her first book, Amy Friend says that if you get the results you want by fussy cutting, then the fabric that gets trimmed isn't a waste at all. : ) Good luck on these projects!

    ReplyDelete