Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Sturbridge Rail Fence Quilt

One of the ways I justify my fabric habit is by telling myself that I won't purchase gifts, I'll make handmade gifts.  When I actually follow that practice it's a great feeling.  I'm happy to say that this quilt is part of that philosophy.  I'll be gifting this quilt to my son's teacher next month.


I chose more traditional and neutral fabrics for this quilt since I knew it was a gift.  The fabric is Sturbridge, by Kathy Schmitz for Moda Fabrics.  Since the fabric line includes only three colors, it was perfect for a rail fence quilt.  I used just one layer cake for the front.


Beautiful quilting by Allison at AB Quilting Studio.



Although this isn't my usual style of quilt I am really happy with the result, and I hope the recipient is too.

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts, My Quilt Infatuation, and Sew Fresh Quilts.
Another 2nd quarter 2016 Finish-A-Long finish as well!

Happy Sewing!

6 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous quilt and lucky teacher!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great teacher gift! Those neutral colors look great together, especially with the mix of dark fabrics. Beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure it will be well received! As a teacher, I know how nice it is to be thought of and thanked. You've done a great job here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blue, white and tan is such a classic combination. Love your fabrics in this delightful quilt. What a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever I do a more traditional quilt, it's always with Moda -- love that company's selections, from old-school to more modern stuff. Classic design with classic fabric ... I think this gift will be a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely teacher gift! Really lovely. Thanks for participating in the 2016 FAL on behalf of the global hosts :)

    ReplyDelete