Friday, August 7, 2015

Botanique Quilt

Three weeks ago I was excited to find out that my cousin was getting married in this month.   Of course this means a quilt was in order.  Even though I have five other quilt tops finished, none were a match for her, so it was time make another.

Luckily I had a bunch of Joel Dewberry Botanique fat quarters on hand and a pattern I've been wanting to try called Busy Bee by Villa Rosa Designs.  It's a simple quilt with two different blocks.  One block is made up of two strips, the other is made up of three strips to make 9.5 inch squares.  There were a few very pretty, large scale floral prints in the collection which I didn't want to cut up, so I tweaked the pattern a little to include 9.5 inch square blocks of a single fabric.  I also eliminated the charm squares as a border and added an additional row of blocks.

I'm excited about this quilt because it was easy to put together and I had all the materials in my stash.  I quilted it myself using loops...which I'm still practicing.  I spray basted it with help from this post from Julie at The Crafty Quilter.  I machine bound it with help from this post from Allison at Cluck Cluck Sew.  I'm really pleased with how it turned out, and the spray basting and machine binding really helped me finish the project in time for the shower this past weekend.  Win, Win!


 Linking up with Kelly at Needle and Thread Thursday and Amanda Jean at Crazy Mom Quilts

5 comments:

  1. Such a pretty quilt, and your loops look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely and I bet the wedding couple will treasure it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joel Dewberry fabrics are just so lovely - great colours here in your quilt - it looks really good, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for your wonderful finish! and Yay for machine binding. I always machine bind...and just this weekend used an awesome technique called Susie's Magic Binding: http://www.52quilts.com/2012/05/tuesday-tutorial-susies-magic-binding.html

    Your loops look good too! I saw you on N&TT. Check out my spot when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete