Saturday, August 15, 2015

It's a skirt!

My mom made us clothes when we were little, especially pajamas and special occasion clothes. She was a very accurate sewer.  Even though I've quilted for a long time now, I was always afraid to try to make my own clothes.  So I recently purchased a skirt kit and went to work.  I really learned so much in making this skirt.  It was Simplicity Pattern 2226.  I traced the pattern, made a muslin of the waistband for fit, made pockets, used french seams, put in an invisible zipper, and did a blind hem.  I was helped by this great five day sew along from Anna at Noodlehead.  I still feel like making clothes is a lot harder than making quilts, but I do feel confident now to keep branching into the garment side of sewing.






































Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your first skirt!! it looks super! I feel like quilt making has improved my skill so much as a seamstress overall. Keep after it and sewing clothes will get easier (plus - you picked a pretty challenging make for your first foray into garment making)

    Happy sewing (all the things :-)
    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete