Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Getting those zippers right!

I've been making pouches again...not a bad way to spend time on the weekend.  Nothing fancy, but it was good zipper practice.  I was determined to get the corners right on these, and I made a lot of progress on that front.


So one thing I've learned is to cut your fabric one inch bigger than the zipper length and sew with a 3/8 inch seam.  This seems unnatural for us quilters, but this gives you 1/8 inch of room between the seam and the zipper ends. If you do it this way you don't need zipper tabs, your corners come out nicely and you shouldn't hit the zipper stop.

Love this lining fabric!
So the second thing to watch on these types of pouches is to make sure that the seam allowances and the zipper are folded towards the outside pouch fabrics, away from the lining fabrics.  Once you fold so that the outsides are facing and the lining fabrics are facing, the seam allowance and the zipper sections should all be down facing the outside fabrics.  Stitch in place with a few short stitches, then sew around (remember to leave the zipper open and the bottom of the lining open for turning.)

I'd like to thank Svetlana over at S.O.T.A.K Handmade for sending me these amazing 2.5" squares from her screen printing work.  I worked them into a new laptop case.  You can find two great posts on her sidebar, 33 free zipper pouch tutorials (you can perfect your zippers!) and 33 free tote bag tutorials.  Thank you Svetlana!  You can find her patterns and screen printed fabric here.


Anyone else out there have a great zipper tip to share?

Interested in more zip pouches, check these posts here and here.

Linking up with Let's Bee Social and Finish it up Friday.  

5 comments:

  1. Judy, these turned out great! I especially love the laptop case! All so well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been having a craving to make a bag. It's been a long time! Your pouches and lap top case turned out perfectly. Thanks so much for sharing the zipper tips. And the links!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so sweet, and I love your laptop case, I'm a huge fan of Svetlana's too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great and I love the laptop case!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started making bags over the summer with the intention of making one for each of the grands...ten (10!) bags later I had to force myself to stop. I have three grands old enough to want bags. In other words, I'm not sure I should go back down that rabbit hole so soon. lol Your laptop case is my favorite. I love those fabrics, so I'm definitely going to check out Svetlana's screen fabrics. (Love her blog, too.)

    ReplyDelete